Monday, February 18, 2008

Ah, back in Argentina, home of the...ham


Hola again campers! Can´t believe time is winding down on this trip. Seems like for so long I was waiting to go, and now I have less than 2 months left before back to NY and reality. But we are not quite there yet and so will continue to enjoy life here--in Buenos Aires! Where else can you find a museum devoted to ham? Yes this was really the name of it ¨Museo del Jamon¨ and I must say I was rather relieved to see upon closer investigation that it was actually a restaurant. Not that I would have doubted they would have such a thing!

I decided I am quite exhuasted from all the travelling and really needed to take a time out and chill out somewhere I like and maybe study some more español before moving on to enjoy Patagonia. So here I am back in Buenos and oh how delightful!

So far since my return about 3 days ago, I have been out to eat a few times, and no matter what I ordered, I ended up getting either a ham and cheese sandwich or a ham and cheese omlet. Really it is unclear why they even bother to have menus when they are always going to bring you whatever they want so long as it has ham and cheese in it! And of course, once they deliver the food, you never see them again. Not even serving other tables. Weird. Oh well, at least it has been tasty and I haven´t had olives and eggs served on my steak yet (mostly because I haven´t had a steak yet) but I am sure that now that I have said so I will get some olive action today.

Anyway, back to our story. When we last left off, I was heading out on a tour of the Salar de Uyuni, which is the largest salt flat in the world. It is currently the largest salt lake in the world because it is the rainy season, and so was totally covered in a couple of inches of water, as you will see from the photos. I went with 3 lovely Argentine boys :) and a couple from Hong Kong. I got to play interpreter again as the Argentinians didn´t speak English and neither did the tour guide.

I must say this is one of the most amazing things I have seen this year. We saw the salt flats, laguna Colorado and laguna Verde, geysers at 5,000 meters, and mice beating the heat of the desert. The company was great and we had our own cook who travelled with us. The snoring by the Hong Kong couple will not be discussed, although I must say the second night we all had to sleep in the same room (only I was with them the first night) and the Argentinians were freaked and talked shit about it all the next day. Mostly because the guys had started suffering from some altitude sickness and didn´t get to sleep all night long. Hong Kong of course had no idea what they were saying, but I did! haha! It was all in good fun though and we had a great time.

As the others returned to Uyuni, I headed with Hong Kong into Chile at San Pedro de Atacama, which is the driest desert in the world. And after Bolivia, unbelievably expensive and so full of Chilean tourists that it took a good few hours to find a room for the night!

So back to the here and now and my contemplation again of the ham and why it plays such an important roles in the lives of these peole. Hmm, reading over what I have written here, it is clear that perhaps I too am becoming a bit obsessed with the ham.....

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/sweidmann/Uyuni%20tour%20y%20Chile%20y%20Salta/?albumview=slideshow

Looks like I forgot to add these photos earlier of La Paz and Sucre and such..pics coming soon of carnaval and a few action shots of the WMDR!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/sweidmann/Bolivia/?albumview=slideshow

No comments: