Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Volunteer in the rainforest!

Week 2: So here we are volunteering in the rainforest. In the past week we have learned the capacity for alcohol of college students (in case one has forgotten), How many ways one can serve rice (1), and how much mud it takes to pull your boot off when you are hiking in el bosque.

There is now a geicko living in our room. I hear this is a good thing as it eats all the spiders I am currently cohabitating with, but it also shits all over your bed if you don´t cover it with your mosquito net.

Some of the other folks had a tarantula living with them and they kept putting it out, but apparently when they find a place they like, they always come back. It would wait on the steps for them to return at the end of the day to let it in. The two in the room decided to put it on a leaf and send it down the river. When it returns, it is going to be pissed, but thankfully for those folks they have moved rooms and new people will get to deal with it´s wrath.

We have a group of 20 14-15 year olds checking in tonight, so I can regress past college and back to high school! Not sure when was the last time I had this much fun! On another note, one of the college kids (ISV) decided to play a joke on the snake people the other night. The snake people are a bunch from Arizona State U here to study the snakes. Apparently at the bar the other night, one of the ISV group went to them and did the old "I hear you are looking for the one-eyed snake" bit, and wipped his package out on the table. Snake people declined to find it funny, and now the poor boy has been sentanced to staying away at mealtimes and any other time the snake people are around. Ah, summer camp!

Yesterday we worked in the Amazon Plant Center. We cut down trees, which was not really my idea of reforestation, but what the hell. Hopefully it has something to do with bringing back more native species of trees, but didn´t really get the deets on that. I am getting quite handy cutting down trees and weeds with the machete though, so will have to practice this new skill when I return to visit mom.

In related wildlife news: Two of the three showers are inhabited by some wildlife. In one corner we have some very large black spiders, and in the other is one of our tarantulas. In the shower with no inhabitants, the bathroom geiko is a peeping tom. Guess the good news is that if he shits on you, at least you are in the shower and can wash it off right away. Unfortuantly, I have yet to see any other kinds of animals that I was hoping to see here. I hear there is a group of monkeys living down the street though that will take anything you own and barter it for food later.

I have eaten more starch in the week and a half that I have been here than probably in the whole last year combined. We did go into Tena last weekend for shrimp though, so that was fun.

All in all, I am not sure at this point what I am really accomplishing here, but will post it just as soon as it comes to me in a dream. Undoubtably, the most I will learn is how many ways you can fry bread, and how many other starches can be served with it at the same time. :)

Saludos!

1 comment:

Joanna Holzman said...

Ah - yes - yuca and rice and plantain and bread. Doesn't that make a balanced diet? Hmmm.

Sorry to hear that there have been some frustrations and that the site isn't what you had hoped. Here's hoping the next stage in your adventure is a bit more what you were hoping! You certainly have had a change, though. Last time I looked the NYC vermin did not include geckos.