Sunday, April 6, 2008

Who does this shit?


Hiking on glaciers in Argentina. Kicking the tops of coffee plants while paraglding in Colombia. Jumping off bridges in Ecuador. Sandboarding in Peru. Climbing out of mud during a landslide while mountainbiking in the rain in Bolivia. Horse trekking in the rainforest of Chile. Riding in the back of an ambulance in Uruguay. Who does these things, you may ask?

Before we answer that question, lets think of some other things I do....occasionally I get massaged and polished by strange men. And I pay them. Occasionally I don´t pay attention and get covered in presents leftover on the streets by the local hounds. Often I walk many kilometers in a day, during rain, snow, and unbearable heat. More than a few times I got completely covered in mud when caught off guard. I have smelled things on the streets of South America whose origins are something that I don´t care to think of. I have seen more this year than many people do in a lifetime.

Who am I? That´s right friends, I am a pair (yes its a plural and let´s not get particular about the language now people!) of Timberland hiking boots, style number...well apparently that has worn off and anyway is no longer important in my identity. I was born in some factory somewhere, and sold by a snobby salesman at the Tip Top shoe store on W 72nd street in New York City sometime in 2004 or 2005. Sold on sale I might add! The shame of it! But we won´t go into my personal issues just now (sniff).

Prior to this year, I did a bit of walking around New York City, but mostly just hung out in the closet waiting for my big break. Well, it came when blondie decided to take this trip and that she was too cheap to buy a new pair when she had a perfectly decent pair sitting right under her nose. About time, I think!

I have had a great year doing some amazing things in South America, even though recently I sustained a personal physical trama when working my way out of the aforementioned mud in Bolivia. I have cracked a bit and am taking on water. I am praying blondie is not sitting here as we talk thinking I should be replaced! Just think--fired, and after all we have been through together! Maybe some kind soul from Timberland is out there reading this right now, hearing my pleas for help and will offer to have me fixed for free. If anyone is in the know of any of those folks, please put in a good word for me. Down below, you will find a link (well, what passes for one anyway) of some photos of me on my exploits in Chile. But for now, I will leave you with a word from our sponser....

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/sweidmann/Chile/?start=0

Quick note I see about the photos..apparently not only does the hyperlink on Blogger not work, also the photos that I rotated don´t bother to rotate in the slideshow either, so will put up the link to the photos and you can view them however you like.

Hello again armchair travellers! I see the boots have taken on a plea for help into thier own hands. Hmph, and after all I have done for them this year, there is just no trust! Anyway, enough about our issues for now. Hugo if you are reading this, there might be some sort of advertising gimmick in there for you I am sure!

Here I am back in Argentina after crossing the final frontier (haha) yesterday from Chile back into Argentina. I am hanging out here in Bariloche where I have big intentions of doing some kayaking. Intentions that might be foiled by the wind and there has even been talk of rain! Whatever! Guess I will have to find some other way to fill my time here.

Went on an absolutely amazing 2 day horsetrek into the mountains of Chile and the temperate rainforest. There is no road, so the only access is by foot or horseback and it was incredible--another highpoint in my year of travel. The Navimag up from Puerto Natales was also a lot of fun and scenery was beautiful. I will be here for several more days and then back to Buenos Aires for a couple days of packing on the pounds with wine and steak before heading up to Miami just a week from tomorrow! Can you believe it? I´ll have a couple of cool days hanging out on the Miami docks courtesy of my new friend Annie before getting back to the real world.

In preparation for my impending return, I am sending out an invitiation to all the New Yorkers to inform you that you can contribute to the Unemployment Fund! That´s right, you too can purchase food of your own choosing, bring it to my house on the upper east side, and I will cook it for you and entertain you with tales from as yet unpublished chapters! Fascinating titles available to choose from include such things as:

Rodents in My Room in Bolivia

Selected by the Chilean Man as This Month´s Navimag Shag--Tips on How You Can Keep
It From Happening to You!

This Month´s Spanish Lesson--Is Masturbate a Reflexive Verb?--Myths and Realities

Yet Another Awe-Inspiring Patagonian Vista.....Yawn

Attacked by Small Rock Wielding Children!

Not in the New York area? Don´t be left out! Coming soon my Paypal account will be set up to receive deposits and you can select the food, wine, dinner guests, and stories to be told in your honor! My close friend Shannon the filmmaker will film it all and edit it with a personal introduction just for you and send it in the mail or via an online link if you wish! Don´t delay and order now!

In all seriousness folks, it has been an amazing year and I am very blessed and can´t wait to see all of you people again soon! Keep tuning in as more is coming in the next couple of weeks!

muchos abrazos y besos,
Susan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Did I say wow? I meant WOW. I'm not even kidding when I say reading this post literally just made me check my bank account balance, schedule, and climate cycles in south america.

-David