Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The mysterious origins of the gripe pill

Hola again! Here I am back in Quito after an amazing time at the beach, where the ground literally moved. First of all I must say thanks to all those who post comments on the blog. I do read them but rarely respond as I am not sure those who posted check back to see if there is a response. So anyway....if you respond and want a response, please say so and I will send a comment your way!

I am heading back to Chugchilan tomorrow in anticipation of a nice turkey dinner for Thanksgiving, so that is very exciting! Of course I have just found out that I have a task of trying to find some cranberries here, but alas have found out too late and think the likely stores to have it will be closed by the time I get there.......drat.

Anyway, the beach was great although I was really too lazy to take many pictures, so have about 3 and will add them next time. I did get to encounter the earthquake though, and as it has been many years since I felt one, it was like a new experience all over again! The ground literally shook right after I sunk the eight ball at pool (actually on purpose this time!) and everyone went running for the doorway. No major damage, although the bar did lose it´s sign that was swinging outside.

I must say before we move on, that you always find these great little towns and think you could really settle in for a while and take it easy. Unfortunatley, inevitably some local guy takes a shine to me and then starts to stalk me and finally I have to leave town. So sad and this little beach town was no exception....sigh. Oh well.

But let´s get back to the real topic at hand: yes, the gripe pill. Gripe (pronounced gree-pay) is a standard latin american term for everything ill it seems. From a cold, to the flu, to menstral cramps to hemmoroids. The real issue is of course the pill since it treats everything! These pills of dubious origin usually come in a packet that the pharmacist or your good buddy gives you and are never labelled, so it is really unclear how many to take or what they should actually do for you. Which I think is nothing anyway, so guess that where it comes from is no muy importante. Just another latin american ism to ponder on those 7 hour bus rides!

No comments: