Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ba Ba Black Sheep!


Hi again my loyal subjects--

So here I am in Chugchilan Ecuador and the BSI. I am writing you whilst looking over the canyon and watching the day's clouds come in, as they usually do at this time of day. Sometimes there is rain and we have even had some thunder and hail! The weather can change here in a New York minute and often does. The sunset lasts about 5 minutes, so when I tell the guests to go check out the sunset, they all run up to thier rooms to grab thier cameras. The sunset is usually over before they get back with them!

Things are going really well here. I am enjoying my time here and am learning a ton of information about hospitality and ecotourism. The owners are one of the coolest couples I have ever met. You people know how impressed I always am with meeting people who are living a life of their own design. These folks are doing just that and have built everything they have here from the ground up with little to no experience. The are also getting to enjoy the trails and tribulations of trying to accomplish anything in a developing country, so those are always fun stories to hear!

I am trying to work on my spanish a bit more and studying a bit each day. I am also climbing hills each day in order to get in better shape for all the walking I will need to do in Machu Piccu, so that is good for me as well. I am enjoying perhaps a bit too much boxed Chilean wine, but in general not doing too bad. The food is yummy, and for a vegetarian place, we (the owners and myself) are sure getting to enjoy a lot of meat for dinner! hehe!

They have about 9 local employees working here and the girls are fascinated with the size of my breasts and scandalized by the fact that I am divorced. And old. And have no children. They are constantly asking why I am divorced, which is a loaded question in English let alone in Spanish! The only answer I can come up with is "no me gusta me esposo". Which translates roughly to "I don't like my husband". I have yet to reach the point of being able to use that verb in the past tense, so they just have to deal with it for now! They are also constantly on the move to try to set me up with every Ecuadorian man in the village, married or not. My heart lies elsewhere, so I am working the smile nod I-don't-understand look pretty often. Often it is actually even true, so not that much of a stretch for me!

So that is all I have time for now--but here are some pics to start with and will write more later!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/sweidmann/Black%20Sheep%20Inn/?start=all

3 comments:

Joanna Holzman said...

Ha! Funny post - but sounds like a neat experience. The URL you posted for photos maybe got cut off, though? Booo - I want to see them!

Unknown said...

Hi Sue,

I am so glad you are enjoying the experience! What wonderful people to learn from! Yes, where are the photos????

Much peace,

Dorothy

Susan Weidmann said...

I tired the link today and seems to be working....can you all try again?