Sunday, April 22, 2007

In the company of a Bush twin....oh the shame of it!

And so begins another chapter in our continuing story on life in Argentina. This is a land where the term "live your life today because you could get hit by a bus tomorrow" needs to be taken quite literally. The sidewalks here are roughly a foot and a half wide, and god help you if you need to pass someone. The buses here are all on some sort of race to the finish and will come to within an inch of the curb. So if you step into the street to pass someone on the sidewalk and a bus comes up behind you, chances are quite good that you will not survive the encounter.

Not only do the buses speed through the street, ringing the bell for the bus to stop so that you can get off is more of a suggestion than anything. For the most part, as they reach your stop, they slow down to a crawl, the door opens, and you jump out, hoping that your feet make contact with the street before the door handle hits you on the head as the bus speeds off. If you are lucky, many people will be waiting at the bus stop to board the bus. In that case, the bus will actually stop--which is good. I am certainly learning some new skills for coordination.

What I am not learning, unfortunately, are new skills of observation. That's right friends, your favorite blonde traveller had her purse ripped off at dinner the other night. About a bottle and a half of wine into the evening in a very busy place, I got drunk, lazy, and careless, and stopped paying attention to the activities of my handbag, which took that opportunity to find something else to do. Biggest tragedy of the night is the loss of my little red book, that has all the contact info for everyone I know and everything I need in it. That and the fact that bank of America says it will take 7-10 days to get me a new ATM card. Huh?? What a joke--I would be in real trouble if it was the only ATM card I had as a week is a long time to go without cash! That and replacing my NY DL will be a pain. They will only mail it to me in NYC and it will take a couple of weeks, so by the time it is received up there and sent to me, I will be somewhere in the jungle of Ecuador. Oh well, guess I have to work it out. Biggest loss number two:: the loss of my favorite, and apparently irreplacable, lip balm. Can't find it in Argentina--but Shannon will be coming to my rescue in a few days with a supply.

Small comfort that one of the Bush twins had her purse snatched in Plaza Dorrego, which is here in my hood, right in front of the secret service a couple of months ago.

In related news, apparently the police officer who made the report for me was trying to pick me up, and I was busy living up to the blonde hairdo and totally oblivious. We went to the police late Friday night here in San Telmo and they told me to go to the tourist police on Corrientes Saturday morning to make the report (supposedly for my insurance, but my deductible is too high and I really just want the police report in the event that I end up with an identity theft situation). I got there and he proceeded to tell me in a mixture of Spanish and English that I had two choices. I admit I had a moment where I was wondering if he was going to tell me that for 20 pesos he could make it much simpler.

If I wanted to list the restuarant as the place of the theft, it was in a different district and we would need to make an appointment for later in the afternoon to go there with an interpreter, etc. to file the report. If I didn't care about the location, they would take me now to the closest precinct on Lavalle calle and file a report saying some guy grabbed it from me on the street. Not giving a shit about the location, I opted for the now option. He called in another officer to take me to the police station and there we filled out the report about my "attack", which apparently now had happened at the intersection of Florida and Cordoba streets.

He asked me if I was single, and then proceeded to tell me 4 times that he was too. He also advised that I should have some Argentine friends to help me practice my Spanish. This is true, and he was really attractive :) but somehow after having a hangover and only about 3 hours of sleep this went over my head......sigh. Maybe it is time to start a new blog about my life and the myraid of missed sexual opportunities because I just wasn't paying attention and seeing the signs...sorry mom, don't read that one. :)

OK, I am outta here for now as I have no money and need to buy a handbag--although thankfully I now have a comb! Roger was nice enough to lend me some money so I could comb my hair...pathetic, I know. Worse than all this is the look of disdain I will no doubt get from my Spanish instructor tomorrow while he tries to decide if I am telling the truth about my textbook being in my handbag when it was snatched, or if I am making up a story about why I didn't do my homework.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Bummer about your bag and the missed opportunity..a lesson learned. So Shannon is coming? That is awesome news. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure!
Love ya!